The Pool Table King’s Blog

Selling Your Used Pool Table

56 Posted by Pool Table King on February 9, 2010

Just about every day I get a phone call asking if we purchase used pool tables. Unfortunately we cannot take on any used pool tables right now, but I can point you in the right direction if you want to get rid of yours. We have sold many used tables in the past. Here are some tips and things to remember when selling your pool table.

1. It’s very difficult to get a lot of money for your pool table. Buyers are looking for a bargain when buying used.

2. Remember moving the table costs money. Either negotiate that in your price or keep it in mind when listing your final price. Take note of stairs, one piece slates and oversize tables. All cost more to move and none should be moved by an amateur.

3. Start by putting the word out to friends and family that you are looking to sell your table. If you don’t know anyone looking to buy then turn to online classifieds such as Craigslist. The lower your price, the faster you will sell.

4. Put your table in the best light possible. Literally. Take great photos. Try to get the entire pool table in one frame. List your accessories and take photos. Matching cue racks or pub furniture is always a bonus.

5. Read through our FAQ. Learn as much about your pool table as possible so that you can inform your potential buyers, why  your pool table is a great deal. Try and find out what your make and model is going for new (this may be much less than you paid as the market has become quite competitive).

6. Lastly (and probably most importantly), remember that the age of a pool table can trigger many costly things. Tables that are 20-35 years old generally need a lot of work. Often more work than what they are worth. So if your table is in this age range, has never been recushioned or repocketed it will be very difficult to sell. If you have done work to your table recently, be sure to bring that up to your buyer. An old table can play just like a new table if it has been properly cared for.

Don’t forget to read our article: The Cost of a Free Pool Table

56 Comments

1. Michael Cline says:

I am looking for information on a Fischer pool table dated back to the 60′s or 70″. The Model is a Regent #91E with the Serial # being 910950. I am trying to sell it as is and am wondering what it could be worth.

November 27, 2010 at 9:40 am

2. Rory says:

Michael, if you would e-mail us some pics we may be able to put a value on your Fischer. Also what is the condition of felt and cushions. Also is the pool table located on the ground floor, upstairs or in a basement. All of these factors severely impact the value. We’re assuming it’s an eight foot, one piece slate, right?
    Thanks for your comment. dk
    E-mail pool table pics to:david@pooltableexperts.com

November 28, 2010 at 5:39 am

3. John Tennant says:

Hi Rory,
    I am the president of the Billiards Club in Casta del Sol, a retirement community in Mission Viejo. The Association is looking into ways to sell or donate an older pool table as part of a renovation project. The table is a nine footer made by American Billiards of Los Angeles. I believes they are no longer in business. The base of the table is showing its age (30 years). The felt and cushions are like new since they are replaced every seven years. I do not know the number of slate pieces, but there are at least two. The table is at ground level. The final call on disposing of the table is up to our association Board of Directors. I am the liaison. HELP! I cannot figure out how to use gravator so I will try to send pix to your company’s regular email address in care of your name.

May 10, 2011 at 11:52 am

4. william Mayhew says:

Want to sell used 5 year old pool table Elayna model for $700 and Bistro light for $250. Tel 714-528-1587.

June 16, 2012 at 5:16 am

5. sandy bostwick says:

like to sell 9 foot pool table with everything included 14 pool sticks and two pool racks with everything that goes with pool table,.every thing is in excellent shape.asking $750.00. call 1-269-445-5099.

August 3, 2012 at 6:57 am

6. john a lappas says:

i have an amf grand prix 4 1/2×9 tournament grade,gold trim. paid 8,700 ten years ago, can u tell me what it is worth today .thanks john a lappas.

September 28, 2012 at 1:05 pm

7. Dennis Moore says:

Have an Imperial International (Sir Charles Edition) about 10 years old. 8 ‘Oak with all accessories. How much do you think I could sell it for?

October 9, 2012 at 6:17 pm

8. Pool Table King says:

I’d say you could get $1000 for it, assuming the cushions have not gone bad. Imperial tables are hit and miss. I’ve seen seven year old tables with dead rails. Good luck.

October 21, 2012 at 6:46 am

9. Pool Table King says:

Unfortunately that is not the most sought after size for home use. Most folks prefer a 4×8 foot. You’d probably ask $2000 and maybe split the moving costs with the prospective buyer. Good luck.

October 21, 2012 at 6:49 am

10. Ghyas says:

i want to sell my 5ft riley pool table but i do not know how much to sell it for do you think anyone would buy it for £85

January 7, 2013 at 3:23 am

11. Barbara says:

I have a pool table I would like to donate. We are selling our home and the pool table must go.

February 4, 2013 at 2:15 pm

12. Pool Table King says:

That’s a great idea Barbara! Have you checked with your local boys & girls club or church youth group? Thanks for your comment. Dave

February 5, 2013 at 5:39 am

13. Guenter says:

I am looking to buy an used 7ft newer used pool table (genuine sectional slates and good rail condition) -
    Any suggestion where is the best place to look?

February 8, 2013 at 12:31 pm

14. Pool Table King says:

we occasionally sell used pool tables of different sizes. The best thing for you to do would be to come on down to our Orange County, CA pool table showroom. Thanks for your question, Dave.

February 10, 2013 at 6:16 am

15. vanesa says:

interested in selling my pool table..its a imperial international if interested call/txt me at 951-710-7964 thanks

February 13, 2013 at 3:28 pm

16. Pool Table King says:

Thanks for sharing the pic of your pool table Vanessa. It looks a lot like our cl bailey Addison. If someone is interested they should contact you directly for a viewing and/or a price. We sell our new Addisons for $1799. Delivered and installed. Maybe someone can score a deal on your Imperial Black Widow. Good luck, Dave.

February 14, 2013 at 5:51 pm

17. Holly James says:

These are great tips! I’m trying to sell a couple old pool tables in Calgary but haven’t listed them yet because I can’t settle on a price. I never considered having the moving cost included in the price. Lots to think about here. Thanks again!

March 6, 2013 at 3:07 pm

18. Jo says:

7 year old great condition, 8ft imperial international pool table idk how much to sell for

March 7, 2013 at 2:55 pm

19. Jay Mayfield says:

I just purchased a home and it came with a pool table. It is an Irving Kaye and has a serial number of KS-15810. Can you help find out what kind of table it is and the value for sale please?

April 27, 2013 at 6:30 pm

20. Pool Table King says:

Irving Kaye is a great home pool table. There is not much resale value though, the mechanical function is not the greatest design compared to a Valley, Dynamo, Global or even a Murrey coin op pool table. If you don’t need the table now consider disassembling it and storing it until a time in the future when you’ll be able to put it to good use. But if you just want it gone, I’m sure you could get $500 for it. Thanks for your question and good luck, Dave.

April 28, 2013 at 5:25 am

21. Frank Matteucci says:

Hello,
    I own a Brunswick-Balke-Collender 4 slate table from the 1880′s. It’s been in my basement since my father bought it for me back in 1965. The wood is all there and needs to be refinished, but the guy that replaced the cloth said don’t touch it and let the someday new owner do it. I have looked on a lot of antique pool table sites and have not found another one like it. I know the story about this table from the turn of the last century. I am thinking about putting this table up for sale but have no idea what I should ask – any ideas where I should start?

May 7, 2013 at 3:27 pm

22. Greg Scott says:

Hey Pool King,
    I have a 4×8 World of Leisure pool table. It’s a 3-piece slate with real oak wood finish. The felt and rails are in good shape. (Red) Leather drop pockets and approximately 12 cues plus bridge and 2-piece wall mounted cue rack with a table cover. Also additional minor accessories. What do you think it all would be worth?

May 11, 2013 at 10:12 am

23. Pool Table King says:

Hi Frank, it sounds like an interesting antique pool table. I don’t have much resale dealings with pieces like yours. You may want to speak to Steve Roeder of Blatt Billiards in NYC, this is right up their alley.
    Regards, Dave.

May 12, 2013 at 5:54 am

24. Pool Table King says:

Hey Greg thanks for your question. The value of your used World of Leisure pool table really depends on which model you have. If it’s one of their older models built here in California then it really comes down to the thickness of the cabinet and whether or not it’s solid wood or plywood veneer. If it’s a 1.5 inch thick solid wood cabinet and the slates are one inch thick backed with either poplar or particle wood, then I’d say you could ask $1000 or higher depending on exactly which model you have and assuming the cushion rubber and leather pockets are not on their way to needing replacement. On the other hand if you’ve got one of World of Leisure’s economy models with .75 inch veneer or solid wood cabinet with a .75 inch thick un-backed slates and assuming the cushion rubber and leather pockets still have five years of life or better, I’d put a value of $500 on it. We’re also assuming that the buyer will be paying for all disassembly, moving and re-installation work, which can cost anywhere between $375-575 depending on unforeseen problems, distances and/or difficult exit and entry in both origin and destination locations.
    Hope this helps, Dave.

May 12, 2013 at 6:21 am

25. Steve says:

I have a 5 year old American Heritage pool table for sale. It is in good shape the bummper are like new. I has been taken apart and ready to shp. I am looking for $2000.00 or best offer. this 4×8 pool table has what I call tiger legs and nice oak. Please contact me it you would like more info. 805-279-7063

June 8, 2013 at 9:37 am

26. SERGIO says:

LOOKING FOR A USED olhausen HARLEY DAVIDSON POOL TABLE.. ANY IDEALS OR KNOW SOME ONE WHOSE SELLING ONE

June 25, 2013 at 3:33 pm

27. Brenda says:

I have a 1960′s Fischer Express 101 pool table that I purchased 20 years ago. I had the bumpers and felt redone 11 years ago and have had it in storage for the last 10 years. It was originally coin operated but that was removed. I know it is a 1 piece marble slate and it 8×4 in size. Any idea’s on how much it would be worth today? Any help is greatly appreciated.

June 25, 2013 at 3:57 pm

28. Pool Table King says:

Hello Brenda, you’ve got an oldie but a goodie. Assuming the cushion rubber is still in good working condition I’d say your old Fischer pool table is worth between $500-700. Good luck and thanks for your comment, Dave.

June 28, 2013 at 5:59 am

29. Danielle says:

Hi Pool Table King,

I am looking to sell a Authentic Brunswick, 8×4 in size, and in good shape just may need re-felting just looking to sell ASAP!! Thank You!!

August 7, 2013 at 9:27 pm

30. Pool Table King says:

Hey Danielle, tough to sell antique pool tables these days. Finding the right buyer whom is willing to pay what it it actually worth is tough. Maybe try ebay for a larger audience.

August 10, 2013 at 6:35 am

31. terry says:

Hi ~ I have an 8′ Olhausen Dona Marie table that I bought about 8 years ago (for $7000). It’s been in storage for about 7 years now, and I’m wanting to sell it. I’m wondering how much I might be able to get for it, and where the best place to try to sell it might be. Thanks!

August 12, 2013 at 4:19 pm

32. Pool Table King says:

Hi Terry, that’s a great looking, well built American pool table. Unfortunately you’ve got two negatives stacked against you. First it’s not assembled for someone to look at or play on and test out. Second, it’s a used pool table and in today’s used table market means it’s probably worth less than half of what you paid for it. What most people don’t understand are the intricate differences between Chinese pool tables (which have flooded the market) and quality American made pool tables, all they see is a pool table, and in your case they won’t even see that. If you find trusting buyer, a fair price would be between $1500-2000 with all the accessories that accompany the pool table. Good luck and let me know if I can be of further assistance, Dave.

August 14, 2013 at 6:03 am

33. Terri says:

Hello Mr. King:
    In the antique pool table business ourselves here in FL. Sssslllllooowwww-going. How about in CA??? I hear that you are getting more money for the same table out there. Any truth to that??
    From one business owner trying to stay afloat to another, Cheers!

August 20, 2013 at 9:44 am

34. Ryan says:

I have a 9ft custom original renaissance table hand carved by Charles a porter. What is a good selling price? I have found other originals online going for 20k and up

September 15, 2013 at 4:55 pm

35. Pool Table King says:

It is hard to say without knowing the condition and your location. We can only give you an idea of selling price based on the Orange County, CA market.

September 19, 2013 at 6:43 am

36. Theresa says:

Hi we have a custom original 8′ professional solid oak renaissance 3 piece 1″ slate. style is La Paz in excellent condition also comes with matching cue rack with 8 custom cue sticks.
    Serial#Z80628
    Pool Light included
    What price can we ask?
    all frames and components made of solid hardwoods
    slate is italian, diamond honed
    pockets are genuine leather
    Thanks for you input

September 21, 2013 at 2:29 pm

37. Jeff says:

Hi Pool Table King, I am looking for a quality pre-owned 9 foot pool table for my home. Have you seen any nice ones available lately? If so, please refer me.

October 6, 2013 at 6:48 am

38. Pool Table King says:

Hello Jeff. No nine footers at this time, they’re kind of rare because of the additional space needed to have one comfortably installed in a typical home. I can build you a new one if you aren’t able to find one in the used pool table market. Dave.

October 8, 2013 at 5:49 am

39. Kenny H says:

I have an Olhausen 8 foot table with green felt that I bought about 8 years ago. It is in almost perfect condition. I would guess it hasn’t been played on more than 30 times. I have a leather cover, balls, racks, cues, and wall rack for the cues. It has been indoors and covered the entire time. Any suggestions on price, or where I can sell it. Somewhere besides craigslist would be great. Thanx. :)

October 18, 2013 at 3:11 pm

40. Pool Table King says:

It depends on the model of Olhausen. Here in Orange County, people generally ask around 40% of purchase price of table. The used pool table market is inundated with sellers right now. It may help to include the cost of the move into your asking price. This makes it easier for the buyer.

October 21, 2013 at 6:18 am

41. Tia says:

Hello- i am looking for an 8 by 4 more rustic looking table. I saw one that American Herritage sells that they made for Pottery Barn that I like. Of coarse want to by used. Looking for a quick purchase.

October 21, 2013 at 7:43 am

42. Pool Table King says:

Hi Tia, unfortunately the Pottery Barn/American Heritage pool table is pretty new to the pool table market and thus there aren’t many if any at all used for sale. I represent Connelly Billiards, if you’d like a truly “American” made pool table i can work with you on that. We do have a model called the del mar that we could make out of distressed, knotty pine.
    Cheers, Dave.

October 23, 2013 at 5:35 am

43. BOSS says:

hi pool master. im the billiard boss. can you please identify me this model of pool table?? http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/spo/4146938221.html ……………thanks

October 23, 2013 at 10:21 am

44. Theresa says:

Hello pool table king i have a custom original 8′ professional solid oak renaissance 3 piece 1″ slate. style is La Paz in excellent condition also comes with matching cue rack with 8 custom cue sticks.
    Serial#Z80628
    Pool Light included
    What price can we ask?
    all frames and components made of solid hardwoods
    slate is italian, diamond honed
    pockets are genuine leather
    Thanks for you input

October 23, 2013 at 10:59 am

45. Tia Shea says:

I maybe interested if you can send me a pic. If the King doesn’t mind. Ha ha

Tia

October 23, 2013 at 11:41 am

46. Pool Table King says:

hello boss, you know this brunswick model pool table looks a lot like one i’ve worked on before. not this one but one around here in so cal. but i seem to remember that is was not a slate table. brunswick had a line of lower priced, entry level pool tables with playing fields that were made from “honeycomb”. which is a fancy name for non-slate. just be careful, check the table out yourself. crawl underneath and feel the bottom of the “slate” if it feels cold or cool to the touch then it’s slate. good luck, dave.

October 24, 2013 at 6:33 am

47. Pool Table King says:

hello theresa you can bet the farm that this pool table is better than anything on the open used pool table market today. unfortunately used pool table buyers don’t understand the difference between quality and crap. if we were selling this pool table from our showroom we’d probably offer it for $1800. which would also include us delivering it to client’s home and re-installing it. hope this helps, dave.

October 24, 2013 at 6:47 am

48. Pool Table King says:

please visit my store for a closer look. you can also log on to http://www.dkbilliards.com/products/connelly/del-sol/ or http://www.dkbilliards.com/products/connelly/del-mar/ these two models can be customized to look very similar to pottery barn’s american heritage pool table, except ours is truly “American” made. cheers, dave.

October 24, 2013 at 6:55 am

49. Tia says:

Either of these is what I am after. Could either of these work for a dining table as well? I was thinking of getting a conversion ping pong top ( unclip the net) so I could through a table cloth over it so we can eat there as well. Or have a table top made for it if
    possible.
    On a side note these are out of my price range. :( but I am a serious buyer. But have to buy used to keep price down. Any other thought where I can look.

October 24, 2013 at 9:11 am

50. Tia says:

I am actually really like the del mar as shown. You have nothing used in that exact one?

October 24, 2013 at 9:57 am

51. Pool Table King says:

sorry tia we don’t have any used del sol or del mar pool tables at this time. best wishes, dave.

October 24, 2013 at 6:42 pm

52. Pool Table King says:

yes they could act as a dining table with the additional ping pong conversion tops. best, dave.

October 24, 2013 at 6:43 pm

53. Tina says:

We have a 7 year old pool table. Purchased it at Costco . Its in really great condition 4 X 7 feet. We will sell for an awesome price. Located in Orange County California. Can you help us. Thank you

December 29, 2013 at 9:37 pm

54. Pool Table King says:

Hello and thank you for reading my blog. At this time we’re not looking for any more used pool tables. Your best bet is to contact boys and girls clubs in your area or church youth groups. A lot of great times could be had by tons of kids playing on your donated pool table.
    Best wishes, dave.

December 30, 2013 at 5:54 am

55. Michael says:

My wife and I are looking to purchase a home and the seller is also looking to sell his pool table along with some other items. Althoug I’d play if we had one, the only reason we are thinking of buyin git is because it is already at the house. He said it is an American Heritage, nice, only used about 10 times and about 20 years old. We are waiting to receive some pictures to see if we want to purchase it, but he is selling it for $2000. Looking at the resale values here, it seems to be a bit high for a resale. With the info provided, can you give us a value range? I’ll send the pictures when I get them for a more accurate appraisal. Thanks!

March 6, 2014 at 5:36 pm

56. Pool Table King says:

Hello Michael, your instincts are correct. For a Malaysian or Chinese made pool table, (not sure where they’re making them these days), it’s a ridiculously high price. Not to mention the fact that most every American Heritage pool table that I’ve ever worked on has had a couple of “dead” cushions. This is mostly due to the fact that the  manufacturer uses some of the poorest quality cushion rubber in the billiard industry. Offer him $500 or tell him to get it out of there. For two grand you can buy a used, well made, American pool table such as a Connelly, Golden West or Olhausen.

Good luck and thanks for your question, Dave.

March 6, 2014 at 8:59 pm